Who should do my pregnancy scan?

Although many practitioners call themselves fetal specialists because they limit their practice to ultrasound examinations during pregnancy, this term is very misleading as “fetal specialist” is not a recognised qualification for HPCSA registration and the level of expertise can be highly variable.

Before you decide where to go for your ultrasound examination, please discuss it with your obstetrician / gynaecologist to make sure you get the level of care that you and your baby require.

If there are specific risk factors in a pregnancy, or ultrasound findings or other screening tests indicating a possible problem with the baby, the ultrasound evaluation should ideally be done by a MFM or a SASUOG endorsed sonologist. These risk factors include medical problems (such as diabetes), medication, drug or alcohol usage, or family members with inborn problems.

Download and read the whole PDF document for more information.

Are you an Ultrasound professional in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?

Become a member of SASUOG by completing the online submission form.